Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Field Mouse's Farewell

Damn. I could sum this beer up with just that one word. However, I will embellish a few more. Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project has done something great here. Field Mouse's Farewell is called a rustic ale, and aptly so. It reminds me of some "rustic" breads I've had before, with a nice grainy taste to it, likely from the use of barley, oats, wheat, and rye. Very nice spice notes and a bit of an earthy undertone to it. Slightly vegetal nose, not much in the way of bitterness, but not overly sweet by any means. Beautiful take on a Saison, and an inspiration for the next one I'll make. Totally worth the money, though I don't remember what I paid for it. If you have access to it, get it now. It's just real nice.

And, quick update on the brewing front: I've been working on a Saison, a portion of which I separated to ferment with cherries, oak cubes, and lactobacillus. The regular saison also had oak cubes, and both are ready for bottling now. Who's excited? This guy.

No comments: